Corpse Pose or Shavasana is the most common posture among all yoga position you will ever come to know yet it is very important. It derived its name from the Sanskrit language word “Shava” which means Dead body, which also defines the state in which this pose is practised. Normally shavasana is performed after all other yoga poses have done but you can also do it before every yoga posture.
How to do Shavasana Pose
Lie down on a mattress on your back and your head and face toward the roof. Relax your legs by opening them with no stress on them, open your hands and spread them in a peaceful manner. Keep your eyes closed and breathe deeply after inhaling or exhaling. You have to experience your breath by the movement of your belly and chest. Just focus on how deep is your breath is going and leave all the thoughts behind. You can practise it for 5-10 minutes but if you had done a tough yoga posture just now, then you can do it more than 15 min. After you had done the yoga posture done, then slowly move your legs and hands in the normal posture and then came into the lotus position.
Benefits of Corpse Pose
- After performing many yoga postures, the body becomes stiff and hard due to lactic acid in the muscles. By doing Corpse posture, you can easily decrease the level of lactic acid created during these tough yoga postures.
- Corpse posture is said to be very helpful in hypertension and insomnia due to its relaxing and meditative procedure. By performing the breath focus process in this, the body will be able to relax down the mind which itself remove these mind generated ailments.
- Shavasana also regulates the respiratory system. When practitioner deeply inhales and exhales the body, it opens the pores of the lungs and let fresh oxygen go into blood and muscles which increases breathing stamina.
- Study shows that Corpse also increases memory and focus on the reduction of anxiety attack
- You can easily perform this yoga posture in your bed before you go to sleep which will slow down anxiety and stress, which will make your sleep longer and you will awake at morning with freshness.
- Researches have proven the Corpse posture has reduced the blood pressure level. Therefore A high blood pressure patient must perform corpse posture on daily basis alongside with other yoga posture.