Cobra pose or Bhujangasana is a spine stretching and weight loosing yoga body posture. Its name literally means the pose of the Cobra Snake due to the structure of the body in this yoga pose looks like a serpent raising his head.
Cobra pose also have a place in the Sun Salutations poses or Suryanamaskar.
- Cobra pose lead upper body to rise in roof direction which eventually stretch and strengthen spine.
- It also reduces body fat in a faster manner. Therefore those who want to get rid of tummy fat must try to practise cobra pose.
- It also strengthens hands, arms, shoulders while increasing flexibilities.
- Due to its impact on stomach, it is helpful in stomach ailments like constipation, menstrual problems etc.
- It puts pressure mainly on chest area which opens the lungs and clears the blockage in respiratory system. Sometimes it is also helpful in curing asthma like respiratory problems.
- One of the main benefits of this poseis that it helps to improve blood circulation. Therefore it is very helpful in menstrual problems in women.
- Manage stress:If you have problems like anxiety or depression, this yoga is very helpful in treating stress symptoms like fatigue, headaches and weakness. Along with this, it is effective in managing depression as well as to some extent. But, if you suffer from migraine or insomnia, take the advice of an expert.
- Performing this pose for a long time gives adequate stretching to the entire abdominal region. It also regulates the metabolic process in the body and helps to overcoming obesity. Hence known as the belly burning yoga pose.
- This pose is a boon to the women because Gynaecological problems like leucorrhoea, dysmenorrhoea, syphilis, amenorrhea, etc. are greatly dealt with this posture. It is beneficial for the health of ovary and uterus, and also good for menstrual cycle.
- Lie with your body on your stomach and forehead on the ground calmly.
- Move your palms to chest and pull your upper portion of the body (chest, head and shoulders) in the roof direction.
- Stretch in a Curvy position as far as you can, your spine will now bended in the L like looking shape.
- Remain in this position for some time and then come back to your original position.
Tips and Precautions
Practising Cobra pose is good for many ailments but there are some tips for the users which if are followed then performing this posture will become easier.
- Never stretch or push yourself out of your limits. Remember that you are not Mr. Fantastic which makes you flexible to stretch inhumanely. If you push too much far in this yoga pose, then it may give you severe spine pain and injuries. If you think that you are feeling dizzy or pain in the upper body part, then you can release yourself and come to original position at anytime.
- There is no need to attain a perfect curve in this posture. Just a slight deviation and ability to breathe longer will give you perfection in this posture.
- Try that your legs stick firmly to the ground; it will help you to lift your chest broader.
- Avoid doing this yoga posture if you are pregnant, have a fracture in ribs or spine or went undergone to any surgery related to the stomach because stomach and spine are two most points where cobra pose acts mainly.
- If you feel that your lower body part, like buttock, back or legs are in sprain, then move them frequently and adjust them time to time. These will lesser the stress made in that part.