What is Downward Dog Pose?
Downward Dog Pose (Adho Mukha Svanasana) is the yoga posture of intermediate level in which body is moved in an upward side V shape position. Downward Dog Pose get its name from Man’s best friend bending position. In fact its sanskrit original name means Half facing Dog posture. It is an essential part of the Surya namaskar or sun salutations. Downward dog not only stretches the spine but also hamstrings hands and legs. It warmth the whole body, which produce energy in body. Downward facing of the downward dog posture make the blood flow toward the head and brain, which soothe the nervous system and enhance the memory of the user.
How to do Downward Dog Pose
- First lie down on floor mattress on your stomach and relax for some time. Place your hands in straight direction.
- You will now take the body into table posture by standing like an animal. Move your hands toward the stomach and after reaching the chest try to push upward, meanwhile move your legs also toward stomach and then push upward parallel to arms.
- Now Push your lower body portion (Buttocks) in upward position while hands remain attach to the ground. Let your palms touched to the ground and knees will go in opposite direction. In the end your lower body will look a /\-Shape while your palms are still touching ground.
- Adjust your feet during 3rd step, as it may soar if you continue to stay in this pose for 3-4 min. Try to let your heels touch the ground, because it will only increase the stretching and produce strain on there. If you feel that your knees are stressed, then correct your posture and make your knees goes right under your hips.
- Stay for at least 3-4 minutes and after that slowly came to the table posture, after remaining it in for 1 minute, lie on your stomach and relax for 2 min.
Downward Dog Tips
There are two main points which may face difficulty in your body, one is shoulders and another is feet. Therefore try to adjust them time by time, also look that you in correct way or position. For the beginner, they can feel sprain in the legs when doing this posture, they can bend one leg’s knee while maintaining the straightness of the another leg knee and then change side with another leg. After some time of practice you will find it easy to perform the straightness in both legs. If you are in pregnancy last stage or have a back injury recently, then please consult your physician before performing this posture.
Benefits of Adho Mukha Svanasana
- Regular practice of downward dog reduces the back pain. As it stretches the spine, therefore practitioner got the nervous system benefit from downward dog.
- Downward dog strengthen hand, legs, spine, shoulder and other body parts. But for beginners, we advice that don’t try to push your limit, if it is painful for your body.
- Downward dog posture regulates the blood circulation which improves the heart condition hence reducing chances of heart related problem and blood pressure.
- It rejuvenates the body and fills it with energy due to its stretching of spine and back portion of body.
- It helps in toning of the palms and feet. It not only makes muscle of lap grow stronger but the opposite side of lap or Hamstring also strengthens when it is practiced for long time.
- Downward dog helps the practitioner in gaining a better digestive system by pressing the digestive organs like kidney, liver and intestines.
Downward dog focus on spine, thighs, stomach areas, therefore women with late-term pregnancy or those who have chronic back or shoulder injuries must avoid it. Those who have high blood pressure or any infection related to Ear or nose must also try not to practice it.
Corpse Pose or Shavasana is the most common posture among all yoga position you will ever come to know yet it is very important. It derived its name from the Sanskrit language word “Shava” which means Dead body, which also defines the state in which this pose is practised. Normally shavasana is performed after all other yoga poses have done but you can also do it before every yoga posture.
How to do Shavasana Pose
Lie down on a mattress on your back and your head and face toward the roof. Relax your legs by opening them with no stress on them, open your hands and spread them in a peaceful manner. Keep your eyes closed and breathe deeply after inhaling or exhaling. You have to experience your breath by the movement of your belly and chest. Just focus on how deep is your breath is going and leave all the thoughts behind. You can practise it for 5-10 minutes but if you had done a tough yoga posture just now, then you can do it more than 15 min. After you had done the yoga posture done, then slowly move your legs and hands in the normal posture and then came into the lotus position.
Benefits of Corpse Pose
- After performing many yoga postures, the body becomes stiff and hard due to lactic acid in the muscles. By doing Corpse posture, you can easily decrease the level of lactic acid created during these tough yoga postures.
- Corpse posture is said to be very helpful in hypertension and insomnia due to its relaxing and meditative procedure. By performing the breath focus process in this, the body will be able to relax down the mind which itself remove these mind generated ailments.
- Shavasana also regulates the respiratory system. When practitioner deeply inhales and exhales the body, it opens the pores of the lungs and let fresh oxygen go into blood and muscles which increases breathing stamina.
- Study shows that Corpse also increases memory and focus on the reduction of anxiety attack
- You can easily perform this yoga posture in your bed before you go to sleep which will slow down anxiety and stress, which will make your sleep longer and you will awake at morning with freshness.
- Researches have proven the Corpse posture has reduced the blood pressure level. Therefore A high blood pressure patient must perform corpse posture on daily basis alongside with other yoga posture.
What is Tadasana ?
Mountain Pose or Tadasana is the one of that yoga posture which is best for the spine cure. It is the basic standing posture for all standing yoga postures. It also gives strength to legs and lower body part. It tones lower body part and can be used as a fat burner. It is also helpful in gaining height for growing kids. It provides body with straight spine posture and enhance the strength of the leg.
How to do mountain pose
- First stand straight on the mattress. Feel relax and don’t put extra pressure on legs. Maintain a little distance between two feet.
- Keep your hands in the straight position in the direction of the floor. Keep them in relax position. Let them free float
- Do inhaling and exhaling practise while looking straight in the nostrils direction. You can do a variation at this step of looking at the direction of the roof.
- Breathe in and out for 3-4 minute and then come backward in original position.
Mountain Pose with arms up
There are several variations for Mountain pose than other, which are discussed here after the 3rd step and before the 4th one.
- While doing inhaling and exhaling practices, raise your arms in the upward direction while maintaining the proper balance to your spine.
- Stretch your legs to upper direction and stand on your toes. Continue your breathe in inhale/exhale process. If you feel sprain in your legs or toes, then try to lift your body after a short gap of rest.
- Look upward while keeping your hands in the straight direction of the roof.
- Remain in this position for the 3-4 min. Then slowly move your legs to the roof and lower down your hands to your hips side.
You can use some tips for mountain posture if you think there is some difficulty in performing variation or original one. If you are a newbie for this posture, then alignment of body structure becomes a headache. Get yourself a yoga block or any wooden block. Its size will be much like to get between your thighs. Now press this block between your knees or legs and try to balance the block. This practise will correct your body alignment perfectly. You can stand against a wall if you are lacking stamina to correctly stand for long duration. However only use your back against the wall or wall like structure. Once you have mastered the mountain posture, try to perform this under the closed eyes condition. Performing it will increase your sense of standing and stamina power.
- This posture improves body posture by correcting the spine, legs and lower body part. With regular practise of this posture, one can get rid of flat feet and also legs ailments.
- Because this posture makes you stand up on your toes, it grows up your balance stamina automatically. It also makes your legs, toes and feet stronger and more stress bearing.
- This posture has the ability to help you grow some inches in height during your teenage times. Therefore if you are a teenager or you have any children who are growing up, you can suggest them this yoga for their height growth.
- It makes your digestive; nervous system regularizes and makes them improved for regular stress full life.
If you are facing any problems relating legs or you have chronic injuries in your legs, then we strongly recommend that you must consult your yoga teacher before performing this posture. It is also need to take caution if you are facing High blood Pressure or Pain in the head.